TabMenu

Poverty and InequalitySexual and Reproductive HealthFamily, Maternal & Child HealthMethodology

Characterizing the temporal dynamics of human papillomavirus DNA detectability using short-interval sampling

TitleCharacterizing the temporal dynamics of human papillomavirus DNA detectability using short-interval sampling
Publication TypeJournal Article
Year of Publication2014
AuthorsLiu, SH, Cummings, DA, Zenilman, JM, Gravitt, PE, Brotman, RM
JournalCancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention : A Publication of the American Association for Cancer Research, cosponsored by the American Society of Preventive Oncology
Volume23
Pagination200-8
Date PublishedJan
ISBN Number1538-7755 (Electronic)1055-9965 (Linking)
Accession Number24130223
KeywordsSexual and Reproductive Health
Abstract

Background:Variable detection of human papillomavirus (HPV) DNA can result in misclassification of infection status, but the extent of misclassification has not been quantitatively evaluated. Methods:In 2005-2007, 33 women aged 22-53 self-collected vaginal swabs twice per week for 16 consecutive weeks. Each of the 955 swabs collected was tested for 37 HPV types/subtypes. Assuming that a woman's underlying infection status did not change over the short study period, biases in prevalence estimates obtained from single versus multiple swabs were calculated. Using event history analysis methods, time to recurrent gain and loss of at least one HPV type was determined, separately. Baseline any- and high risk-HPV prevalence was 60.6% and 24.2%, respectively. Cumulative any- and high risk-HPV prevalence over the 16-week period was 84.8% and 60.6%, separately. Results:Overall, there were 319 events of detection and 313 events of loss of detection. Median times to a recurrent detection and loss of detection was 11 and 7 days, respectively. Neither vaginal sex nor condom use during follow-up was associated with recurrent viral detection or loss of detection. Assuming the cumulative 16-week prevalence reflects the true prevalence of infection, the baseline any-HPV prevalence under-estimated infection status by 24.2%, with a bootstrapped mean of 20.2% (95% confidence interval [CI]: 8.9%, 29.6%). Conclusions:These findings suggest that a substantial proportion of HPV-infected women are misclassified as being un-infected when using a single-time DNA measurement. Impact:Short-term variation in detectable HPV DNA needs to be considered while interpreting the natural history of infections using single samples collected at long intervals.

PMCID

3947138